I recently announced another new discipleship initiative here at the Mayfair Church of Christ that I’d love for all of you who are reading to participate in as well. We’re calling it simply “Family Focused February.”
The idea behind this month is simple – spend time teaching, admonishing, encouraging those you are closest to – your family.
Some simple ways to do this:
- Family bible readings each night
- Family prayer time
- Visit someone in the hospital
- Make a visit to encourage people in the nursing homes
- Make some homemade cookies and take them to a neighbor
- Cook a large home cooked meal and take it to the local fire station
- Make a commitment to be in church every Sunday of the month
- Make a pledge to reach out to one nearby neighbor you don’t know
- Memorize scripture together
- Perform some random acts of kindness for people you don’t know
The list goes on and on – and it’s not something that ends at the end of February. Make this is a pattern in your family.
If you’re not married, or if you don’t have a family living with you – find some of your closest friends and make a commitment to do some of these things. The goal is this: to grow in your relationships with each other as you grow closer to God. Do all these things for HIS glory.
What ideas can you come up with?